The Popham's

"For with God, nothing shall be impossible."~~~~ Luke 1:37

Friday, June 09, 2006

"Isaiah 40:28-31"

The Russian government has decided that all adoption agencies are Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs). As such, they must now be registered with the Russian Ministry of Justice. The branch that will govern NGOs does not exist at this time, though it is being created. The requirements for an agency to register as an NGO have been issued and our agency is currently working to meet these requirements, but it will take time.
We were told that the Russian Ministry of Justice is requiring each agency to have 28 documents. These documents are ready to go with our agency, they are waiting for the go ahead from the NGO. This is just one of the issues with accreditation. The break down of accreditation each agency (our agency is NOT accredited, they work under Adopt a Child, we were told this is very legal) is required to be reaccredited each year, kind of like renewing your driver license. Sometimes this takes time because the license has to be in hand before some regions will let you proceed with court dates. The umbrella agency that America World is working under (Adopt a Child) has a great record with adoptions and they do not have any "black marks" on record, so they should have no problem getting reaccredited. But, now along with accreditation they will need to register with the NGO, which is what I explain above. Some regions will proceed with court dates during these accreditation times, they will work on good faith, if they know that an agency has been in good standing for a long time and they do not feel for any reason that the agency will not get their license, they will then proceed. Our region (Saratov) is a different story right now, the judge is our biggest issue. The judge mailed a letter to a family in another state who traveled to the same region as us, they traveled to meet their child in January 2006. The letter was written in Russian and the family was not able to translate this letter, so they contacted the America World Agency, and the letter was faxed to them to translate. Our agency called all families (with our agency this about 6 families, we were told this affects in all about 20 families who are waiting with other agencies as well) who are waiting to travel back to Saratov and warned us about the letter and told us to expect the same letter. We still have not received this letter and feel now that we will probably not get it. We believe the letter was addressed to this other family because they were the first to travel from our agency this year and the letter was basically for all families. Our agency (America World) had a teleconference yesterday (6-8-06) to discuss the letter and to talk about the next step in proceeding with getting a court date. This conference included our Russian Facilitator, who is a behind the scenes person that nobody sees or hears from except our agency, so we felt very honored yesterday that he took time to speak with us directly. I took the information about the letter this way -- the contents of the letter are basically so crazy that our Russian facilitator doesn't consider them to be "real". As in, the judge doesn't say anything productive or useful, it's just a bunch of made up stuff aimed to get attention. It has no purpose whatsoever other than to further the political career of the judge.
Instead of saying, "hey, I take issue with this and that and these matters need to be addressed", he says "I don't like the way the US law handles adopted children and I want US federal law changed to make me happy, including revisions to the I-171H form( a form we had to go through Homeland Security, to petition for adoption and be approved)." Pure insanity!!! So, obviously we cannot go around asking the US Dept. of Homeland Security to change their I-171H document to appease this judge. We need to pray for this regional judge and for whoever is doing the negotiating with him. Sounds like baby steps are being made in trying to find a way to make him happy with lots of additional documents and for now, the judge is at least willing to discuss it. If something can be worked out, I believe that we will be asked to do TONS more paperwork, then hopefully get court dates, and that we will be required to do whatever medical exams are necessary while we are in Russia, prior to our court hearing. I take all of this to be hopeful, but I do think that it requires massive amounts of prayer!!!
I have been feeling very misled by God and by our agency, I have been fighting with God , is this really what HE wanted us to do or is this what we wanted? This is a constant battle for me, but yesterday evening I read a scripture that my daddy gave me Isaiah 40:28-31 28) Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. 29) He gives strength to the weary and increased the power of the weak. 30) Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31)but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint. Daddy then left me a message that said "You and Phillip are in the center of God's will, don't give up, help is on the way." I realize I am not battling with God I have been in a battle with the devil all along. NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! I will not battle the devil anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please just continue to pray for the families who are waiting as we are, for the judges and all officials who are tied to this situation in Russia, for our son Luke, his health and safety and that God will reunite us very soon. I also ask that you continue to keep Phillip and I in your prayers, I just ask God to soften our hearts and prepare us for what He has in store.
I just received an email from the most dear friend and someone who is so special in my life. God puts people in our life's for reasons and I am so blessed to have such beautiful friends . Here is what she wrote… (Thank you CMS)
I've really been burdened about this whole Luke situation and wanted to share a few things with you. I've come to this conclusion - if you guys have prayed about this adoption before ever going into it, and feel like you were under God's will and direction, then that's all we need to know. He sent you all to Russia for a reason. Although we may not know what it is now, there is a reason. Don't give up hope. He is mighty, and He is in control. Here’s a few verses that I found, that really encouraged me about the adoption and I hope it will do the same for you.
Ecclesiastes 3:1
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
Isaiah 46:11 ……. the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.
Jeremiah 4:28 ……….I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose
Like the song Melanie sings : (Four Day's Late)
You may be fighting
A battle of fear
You've cried to the Lord "I need you now" but he has not appeared
Friend don't be discouraged
'Cause he's still the same
He'll soon be here, He'll roll back the stone and he'll call out your name.
But you're four days late and all hope is gone
Lord we don't understand why you've waited so long
But his way is God's way, not yours or mine
And isn't it great, when he's four days late, he's still on time

EXPECT BIG THINGS FROM GOD! Don’t underestimate Him.
God Bless...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Gina and Phillip,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Below is an excerpt from the book Angels on Assignment. Let us pray that God’s mighty angels will intervene on your behalf and grant your hearts desire. Never doubt that this is God’s will. God’s word tells us to love and care for others. When love is pure of heart its always in God’s will. Never give up! Fight! Because your son Luke is worth it! I’m fighting for you in prayer.

Love, Aunt Sheila

July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing.........we continue to prayer for you, Phillip, Luke and the other familes.......you are always on my mind..........continue to believe. I love you.............

Michelle

July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog. I still feel that you were meant to have this little boy, and if he is meant to be your son - you will have him. What kind of health issues does he have?
Not anything REALLY bad I hope. Keeping good thoughts for you. Love you both & hope everything works itself out. xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Laurie

July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in not only our minds and our hearts but also in our hopes and prayers. We have faith that you will get your precious baby Luke and give him the kind of life most Russian's can only dream about. Stay strong, stay faithful, and stay true to your belief.
We love you very much...................
Trammell and Jeanie

July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had you and Phillip on my mind a lot lately. (I know that God has placed you there, that is how He works so that we can pray for one another.) I just wanted to let you know that I have been doing just that, praying for you, Phillip and Luke. I have asked Him to please bring Luke home to you soon. I have also prayed that you will hear from the agency in the near future. I know that this wait is awfully hard, but God’s timing is sooo PERFECT. Keep believing and trusting. God’s perfect will, will be done – I’m sure of it. You may not understand now (or maybe never on this earth), but one day all will come to light.
I know what it is like to have a battle in your life and to fight with the Devil in what feels like a constant ongoing fight. If you feel like you just can’t go on, quote a scripture that is a comfort to you and simply whisper Jesus’ name. You’ll be surprised at how fast the devil runs. He literally hates the Word and Jesus’ name. He can’t be in the presence of either. Keep up the fight – the victory is already yours!!
I love ya’ll and will continue to keep you in my prayers. As a matter of fact, I’m going to pray for you right now!
Take care and have a wonderful day.
Love,
Becky

July 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home